Friday

SSI-Medicaid- and ER copays..what???

     I was browsing the SSI and Medicaid websites today looking for information about a copay I had to pay for Josh's ER visit a couple of days ago. This was the first time since he started receiving SSI that he has had to pay a copay for any visit ANYWHERE. The woman at the desk told me they have been doing it for three years, yet Tony (who also receives SSI) went in last fall and didn't have to pay one.
   
      So I decided to investigate. I did see that Medicaid patients now pay a copay for non emergency type ER visits, so guess that applies to SSI recipients also. The difference between my two sons ER visits appear to be that Josh was brought in by me for a problem he had for a week that was getting worse and Tony went in by ambulance. Neither turned out to have a life threatening illness, although both COULD have been (pneumonia for one, possible blood clot -or something worse-for the other) so how did the hospital staff determine who paid the copay and who didn't? Was it simply due to the ambulance bringing in one and not the other? Or the fact that Josh had his problem for a week?

     So just a heads up for anyone who has Medicaid, either through SSI or Welfare, who may not have needed to go to the ER lately. Make sure you bring at least $3 with you, although I would suggest more, each hospital may be different. Also keep in mind that I am in RI, so your state may have different fees. I think it would be nice if Medicaid  sent out notices about things like this though so that people would know BEFORE the fact. In our case, if not for a last minute offer of a ride, we would have had to take a cab and after paying the copay, I would not have had enough money to pay for a cab to bring us home. Which would have meant an extremely long walk home with my young grandson and my ill, disabled son.


     While I was looking around I made this interesting discovery about who qualifies for SSI. I pretty much knew this before but didn't know about the last one and thought I would share it with you.

  •  Individuals unable to work due to serious physical and/or mental impairment(s) that have lasted or will last for at least one year or result in death and prevents any substantial gainful activity.
  • Individuals age 65 or older.
  • Citizens can qualify on basis of age or disability. Lawful permanents resident who entered the U.S. before 8/22/96 can qualify based on disability (but not based solely on age unless s/he has worked for 40 quarters). Lawful permanent residents who entered the US on/after 8/22/96 must be in status for five years and be credited with 40 quarters of work before being eligible for SSI based on either age or disability. 
  • Refugees, persons granted asylum and other limited categories are eligible for SSI based on either disability or age for the first 7 years in status (regardless of date of entry). (Some immigrants may be eligible for 9 years).
Ahhhh, America , the land of opportunity, a melting pot of all cultures, religions and races. We even have a statue to welcome arrivals to this great land of gold paved streets that has this inscription:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
Author: Emma Lazarus
It seems the author forgot a line that should mention sending us your disabled and elderly so they can receive a monthly check, free medical and food for seven to nine years!


HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!?

Especially when there are so many citizens of the United States who get denied for SSI even though they have legitimate health or mental issues, which based on the above list, qualifies them to receive it, frequently after years of applying over and over. It seems that they would be better off if they left this great country, became a citizen of ANOTHER country and then moved back here, because apparently, they would then be able to get right on SSI without any hassle at all, being an immigrant with a disability and all....

It may be just my opinion, but does that seem a little, shall we say, wrong,  to anyone else?

No comments: