Monday

Healthy Eating

Back in March after 86 days of being smoke free (147 days now!) and having the extra weight to prove it, I decided that it was time to change my eating habits.

So on March 11, I started making green smoothies. I had read about them and thought they might be a good idea since I knew I wasn't even close to having enough fruits and vegetables in my diet. Originally I planned for the boys to drink these also, but they just don't like them at all.
So I started this journey alone by mixing up vegetables that would be good for what ailed me personally, concentrating on spinach, celery, carrots and adding different things here and there.
I now add flax seed, turmeric, cumin and ginger every day to my smoothies after doing research and joining several groups that deal with my new lifestyle, such as "Young and Raw"

One of my smoothie recipes.
After only 12 days, I had more energy, had lost about 4 lbs, was sleeping a lot better, had no cravings at all for sweet or salty junk food, my 10-12 cup of coffee a day habit had dropped down to 1-2 cups a day, and best of all. the charley horses that I had been having several times a day every single day for the past 6 months or more had stopped entirely! What a joy to fully stretch my body from toes to fingertips in the morning and have not the slightest twinge of pain!

If you'd like to experiment with smoothies to see if you start feeling better too, you can find some great recipes here: "Incredible Smoothies"

So began the switch from processed foods to more raw or cooked veggies and only chicken or fish. I make at least 4 meals a week totally meat free. Even the boys are enjoying the new meals I have been making :-) Especially my 10 year old grandson, who started the whole thing when he convinced me to watch a show on Netflix one weekend when he was here called "Food Matters"
He said it that because I was trying to be healthy now it might have things in it that could help me. He was right, and I highly recommend that you watch it also. I was amazed at what I learned from it and I bet you would be too.

Below is what my grandson chose to have for lunch on Saturday. I used 3 zucchinis so that we could have 2 each (my youngest son was home also) I saw this on Facebook as a side dish, but it makes a great lunch! My son came up with the name for it.

                                                                        "Zukizza"
Here is the recipe if you'd like to try it

ZUKIZZA
Slice Zucchini in half, cut a thin slice off the bottoms so they lay nicely.
Brush with olive oil and top with garlic powder or fresh garlic.
Top with thinly sliced tomatoes and salt and pepper (I only used half a tomato to do all 6 of these and my zukes were on the smallish side)
Top that with Mozzarella cheese or Parmesan or a mix..(I used PreShredded 6 Italian Cheese mix)
Bake @ 375* for 20-30 mins. or until soft. I checked at 20, went to 30 and still the thicker ones could have used more time, but they were soft enough to slice so we ate them. I recommend you start checking at 20 mins too, because ovens vary, as do zucchini sizes!

And that's it! Easy and very good!
In case you're wondering about nutritional information for this. I figured it out and will share it with you. This is for 2 halves of small about 6" zucchinis.
168 calories, 6 carbs, 13 gs fat, 10gms protein, 277 sodium, 3 sugar

I'll admit that it hasn't all been easy. As much as I love the benefits from the healthier eating habits, I do occasionally slide into a piece of bakery strawberry cheesecake, :-D but those days are getting further apart every month. Especially as I find more and more healthier versions of sweets treats, like this cheesecake one.

After realizing I wasn't getting enough water daily, I started making my own fruit waters also and am enjoying those a lot, especially my morning glass of lemon water :-D.  I am getting 8 glasses in easily now and could drink even more! I am hoping to convince my oldest son who won't drink any water at all unless it has KoolAde or Pink Lemonade Mix in it to try these. Click "HERE" to get tips and a few recipes to get you started making your own fruit infused waters.


Mango, Kiwi, Strawberry (side jars) Raspberry, Peach (middle)
  My biggest problem now is where to keep all the fresh foods and the drinks and I am seriously considering getting a second fridge!!

No comments: