Saturday

Garden planning and today's activities

     This year I am planning to expand the flower/vegetable gardens in my yard. It will mean a lot more work for me of course, especially with the watering method I use, but I love flowers and am also hoping to maybe use sections of my yard as a location for photos if it comes out nice...and if it doesn't I still plan on taking loads of flower shots! So I spent some time this morning walking around the yard, pacing out areas and deciding where to put what.
     One thing that will be different is that I can use the nice space behind the garage for the vegetable garden this year. So I might actually get some this time. Last year I planted tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers and didn't get anything. No, that's a lie, I did get a few jalapenos. The neighbors next door have their garden in the same place I am putting mine, on their side of the fence and it does GREAT. So, I am already envisioning tomatoes, green beans, various peppers, cukes, zukes, cantelopes, might try eggplant again, and yellow squash. Not a lot of each, but enough for my family and maybe to share with the other 2 ladies that live in the house.


     I bought 3 packs of mixed flower seeds last month, wildflowers, cottage garden, and a perennial mix, and found 6 more old packages from years ago. After I replant the salvia and other plants that come back, 1/2 of each pk will be mixed and planted in the usual garden space, switching the spot that the garbage cans are usually kept in and will be planting  4 pks of sunflower seeds where they used to go, 3 are really old pks that I found while cleaning which may not grow, but you never know, they just might! They're going along the back fence, to hopefully screen the view through the old wooden fence, of the back neighbor's dog. Who barks non-stop every time we go outside. Along the back of the house I will be using a bunch of pots instead of planting in the ground, alternating a big one, then a small one along the whole width of the house...maybe I should spread all the stones from the rest of the yard in that area around the pots,,,hmmm, I actually like that idea and it will give me some place to put them and I won't have to move the pots for grass cutting that way...there are certainly enough stones to do that with..I swear they multiply faster than rabbits!
     It was so nice earlier this morning that I had Myles get into his old clothes so we could go out and begin some prep work. Good way to get some exercise in for me and he sure could use the fresh air. Of course by the time I thought of doing it and we were ready, and had dug out the edger and pots and got outside, the wind had picked up, clouds almost completely covered the blue sky of earlier and it was a little chilly. We decided to do some work anyways though and it did warm us up. I removed the small edge fencing from the garden and the tomato cages, then  raked up all the little stones I could and he put about 3" of them into each pot, had 8 big ones (I'd say at least 12" tall and 10-12" across) and 6 small..maybe half the size of the big ones...actually these are commercial size, white plastic mayonnaise buckets that John got me last fall from Willow Tree. I need to put holes in the side for drainage also but they work great! We got those all filled and stashed under the table and tarp in case of rain. I moved the bird bath to the middle of that space and buried the bottom, mounding the dirt (and stones..lol) into a hill around the base, and then gathered together some broken bricks and patio stones and made around edging to hold the dirt in, will plant some little ground cover type flowers on that..plus I found a GREAT big rock to add to this space too!
     The last thing we did on the way in was to make a new edge for that flower garden, creeping maybe another 6" into the yard *smile*, but it is along the side of the garage and the no grass there anyways.
Well that is what we did this morning. Back inside now he is playing Wii, and having hot chocolate , not the drink you usually think of having after gardening is it..lol All in all, a fun time working with my grandson in the yard today.
And how has YOUR day been so far?

No comments: